President Katrina McGinnis called the meeting to order at 5:33 PM PST with all members present.
- Katrina McGinnis, President
- Lori Skinner, Vice President
- Jim Beckley, Secretary
- Myra Ellis, Treasurer
- Jennifer Laus
- Rhonda Champion
- Becca Incledon
The minutes of the previous Board meeting were posted to the Files section of the D2Care_Board Yahoo group web site, in the “Files” section for review and comment. Becca moved to approve the minutes of the Board of Directors meeting for September 10, 2006. It was seconded by Myra and Lori and passed unanimously. The Marketing and Merchandising, Membership, and Treasurers reports were submitted on-line in advance of the meeting for review and comment. Myra moved to accept those reports as submitted. The motion was seconded by Becca and passed unanimously. Marketing and Merchandising Committee Report: The Marketing and Merchandising committee has been busy deciding what items to carry first and developing and deciding on a new logo. On Sept. 5, 2006, the committee created a Poll on the deaf dog yahoo list asking what products people would most like us to provide. They were asked to choose two. Approximately 48 people participated. We will use this poll to decide what items we will offer. We will have to take into consideration our limited budget as the organization first gets going.
Question: What D2Care merchandise would you like to purchase? Please check 2 items.
|Magnet (for car)||11|
|Dog Tag w/ I am Deaf & www.D2Care.org||20|
On Oct. 5, 2006, the committee created a Poll on the helpingdeafdogs yahoo list asking to pick which logo they liked best. They were asked to choose 1. 39 people participated. Logo C was the winner. It was designed my Marcy Rauch. We have asked her to make some modifications, which include changing the cat to a dog and making the girl more gender neutral.
Question: Please choose your favorite Logo. Think about what will look best on bumper stickers, t-shirts, hats, etc. You can find the choices in the Files section in the Folder called Logos. Please make one choice. Use the letter in the second line of each selection. There are some letters missing and they aren’t in order, so be careful when you make your selection. We will just be narrowing down the choice to three and then there will be another Poll.
Membership Committee Nov. 5, 2006 Since our last Board meeting of Sept. 10, 06, the Membership Committee has provided input in the following areas:
- Election timeframe – we changed the Bylaws draft to reflect a 5 month window from submission of Board Candidate biographicals (January) to election result announcement (May). With the actual elections occurring between the March Members Meeting and the May Members Meeting.
- Designation of Charter memberships- Charter memberships will be available from the time we choose to open the organization to memberships to June 30, 07. Membership fees will cover until June 30, 08.
- Ballot appearance – the committee put together a sample paper ballot. This was used to compare to an electronic ballot, and they provided input into what they would consider a safe electronic ballot system.
- Membership committee and the Bylaws – they felt that a membership committee did not need to be formally added to the Bylaws. Although, one member felt that as the membership grows, perhaps we might want to reconsider.
Respectfully submitted Katrina McGinnis
Current Financial Report – October 29th, 2006 Prepared and Submitted by Myra Ellis Treasurer D2Care October 29, 2006
Jennifer reported that the Funding committee has been inactive since the last Board meeting.
Jennifer reported that the Web committee has been making progress and hopes to have a final outline of the web site done very soon.
Myra made a motion to accept the Funding and Web reports. The motion was seconded by Jim and approved unanimously.
- Board involvement on committees After discussion, Jennifer made a motion to add to the Bylaws that “A Board Member will be a member of each Committee.” The motion was seconded by Katrina and approved unanimously. Becca made a motion to add to the previous motion that the Board member of each committee will be appointed by the Board if there are no volunteers. The motion was seconded by Myra and approved unanimously.
- Bylaw reviewAfter discussion of the role of the Membership Officer, Katrina made a motion to delegate the details of the role to Policy statements, letting the election of the Membership Officer stand in the Bylaws. The motion was seconded by Becca and approved unanimously.
- Proposed budget It was decided by consent to defer discussion of the proposed budget in the Form 1023 document (501(C)3 application) to the D2Care_Board group.
- Bylaw approval Katrina made a motion to approve the Bylaws as written, with the modification approved in Old Business item 1. The motion was seconded by Jim and Myra and was approved unanimously.
- Form 1023 approvalBy consent it was agreed to defer discussion of Form 1023 approval to the D2Care_Board group.
- Policies to support Bylaws Myra made a motion to defer the discussion of Policies to the D2Care_Board group. The motion was seconded by Jim and approved unanimously.
- Opening D2Care to Members Katrina made a motion to move opening day for membership in D2Care to November 15, 2006. Lori seconded the motion and it was unanimously approved.
Jennifer made a motion to adjourn the meeting. The motion was seconded by Lori and approved unanimously. The meeting was adjourned at 6:44 PM PST. Later, on the D2Care_Board Yahoo group, it was decided by unanimous consent, to re-order the Sections of the Bylaws and to substitute words for math symbols in one place. It was agreed that none of the changes had any effect on the meaning or substance of the Bylaws. Respectfully submitted,
Jim Beckley, Secretary